03 August 2006

Violent ambivalence

I admire Brian's blog. Generally it is lighthearted and makes me laugh. When he does have something profound to communicate, he does it in such a way that he offends no one. Brian cares deeply about some issues; if you look closely at his blog you can discern what they are. He does this in such a way that he leaves the reader to come to his own conclusions. Brian actually survives quite well in the world, and he has achieved a balance that I often envy. Brian is profoundly innocuous and he stirs people to deeper thought and action all the time, allowing them to feel that it was their idea all along.

I am what you may call "opinionated;" most people call it "obnoxious." Everyone has an opinion on just about every subject, even if their opinion is simply, "I don't care." But there are a few of us out there that are passionately opinionated. Amongst the passionately opinionated, there is a minority that are also conflicted in their opinions. Seems that I have such strong feelings on so many subjects and many times my strong feelings are conflicting. I am what is called V.A. = violently ambivalent.

V.A. can manifest itself in many ways, but generally involves the phrase, "I don't care." For example, "I don't care where we eat! Anywhere but ethnic, or fish, or burgers, or chicken; I don't care! Just pick somewhere!!!" In this situation the simple fact is I must eat and I do care where I don't eat, but I do not know where I want to eat. The longer it takes to make a decision, the more VA I can get.

Most of the time I don't know what the answers are. I may know what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it. The result more often than not is a provocative display of VA. Why do I care about wars in the Middle East? Why do I care about Christians on TV who resemble clownish snake oil salesmen and make us all look goofy? Why do I care about man-centered mission strategies? What do I plan to do about it? I don't know, just so long as I don't have to go to battle with a missiologist in a pink wig.

1 comment:

P. Beard said...

You're just saying that to make me feel better, aren't you???