30 July 2006

So, tell me again -- who are the terrorists?

34 children and 12 women died while sleeping in their apartment building that was hit in an Israeli air strike on Sunday in Qana, Lebanon.

Some 500 Lebanese, mostly civilians, have been killed in the campaign according to the Health Ministry. Thirty-three Israeli soldiers have died, and Hezbollah rocket attacks on northern Israel have killed 18 civilians, Israeli authorities said.

"During the current crisis, Israel and the world need to know that the US Congress stands firm in its commitment to Israel's protection and right to defend itself against terrorism and state-sponsored terrorists," Dave Weldon (R) Congressman from Florida. Funny, I thought blowing up buildings full of women and children was what we call terrorism.

What disturbs me most is that so many of my fellow Christians cheer for the modern state of Israel as "God's chosen people" and that anything the nation does is endorsed by God Himself. For some balance I suggest John Piper's sermon on the issue.

I might also suggest a history lesson from Wikipedia concerning the Lavon Affair. To quote my favorite movie line once again, "We all covered up in it, they aien't a one of us clean. "

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave Weldon can go take a long walk off a short pier. Bowman's our man in 2006!

http://zaphodforpresident.com/?p=36