22 August 2006

Tolerance and the question of the Universe

I read a new blog recently that was written by a sincere Pakistani who was vainly promoting tolerance. He (or she) will soon find out how intolerant religious people are.

I do take issue with the idea that the center of Semitic religions is tolerance. The center of Islam, Judaism and Christianity should be God. Each religion has its own particular view of a monotheistic god and each religion's practice is determined by that view of a god. Quite simply none of these religions is based upon tolerance.

I cannot speak for Islam or Judaism, but I can speak as a Christian. Love of God and love for man is the greatest commandment, but that does not mean that I should condone all of mans' beliefs or behaviors.

Rather than teaching tolerance or ambivalence Christ taught that we should live in a way that brings light to a dark world and stands in stark contrast to other systems of belief and practice. While we are not to condemn others we are certainly not commanded to condone others.

In this nation (USA) tolerance carries with it the idea that anyone's belief is not above another's. Tolerance has come to mean submission. Nothing is absolute, nothing is true -- therefore, no one should have the the belief that his faith is true so as to disrespect others beliefs. This is a silly idea. If a man believes perfectly that the moon is made of cheese his belief is wrong. It is not my place to change his belief through argument or violence, but I certainly do not have to live by his belief, nor should I have to submit to it. To respect such a belief and place it as equal to truth would be ridiculous.

I (neither would the Pakistani blogger) respect the beliefs of anyone who is willing to kill others so as to force his/her beliefs on someone else.

Talk of tolerance is a diversion from the real issue.

The main question of the Universe is Who is God?

Islam says that Allah is God and there is no other.

Judaism says that Jehovah is God and there is no other.

Christ says, "I am the way, the truth and the life and there are none that come to the Father except by me."

These three teachings (Islam, Judaism and Christianity) are tri-polar opposites and cannot all be true.

In the blog a sincere peace-loving Muslim's question read, "How can someone who is truly religious kill themselves?" I do not understand the zealots who kill others, nor do I understand how they think this will persuade others to follow their example or their god. However, Christians are called to "kill themselves" in a sense.

We have been commanded to put to death the deeds of the flesh, which are murder, envy, strife, lust, etc. I submit that the man who truly knows God must "kill himself" and love all of man kind. Far from simple tolerance Christians have been commanded to active self-sacrificial love. Tolerance is inactive, I can sit on a log and tolerate everyone. Love is active, I must pursue love in deed and truth.

The blogger went on to say that all true religions promote tolerance as tolerance is the center of true religion. While I appreciated this Mulsim's hope for promoting peace and tolerance I think his assessment is superficial at best. I do not claim to understand Islam, however I would never say that the essence of Islam or religion is "tolerance."

The essence of religion should be answering the questions; Who is God? What did He say? How should I then live?

No comments: