31 December 2006

Substance over Symbol


As I have contemplated symbol lately I feel that I may be in danger of error. I have been so focused on correct symbolism that I have preferred correct symbols over substance.
God made it clear in the Old Testament that symbols are important. People died for misuse of God's given symbols like the Ark of the Covenant, or the offering "strange fire".

I do believe that symbols are important, but symbol without substance is a type of poverty.
The symbols that God gave in the Old Testament were pure, and were not at the privy of men to change. In this age it seems that God tolerates misuse and error to a generous degree. Obviously this is because Christ has come and the symbols of the Old Testament, while only shadows, were fulfilled in Christ. Still, we should take great care with the symbols we offer in this age.

A friend of mine attended a very liturgical wedding recently. The symbolism was perfect. You could not have attended the service without seeing the symbolism of Christ and His Church. Yet, the couple that married was less than godly. The symbols were all in place, but the substance was weak at best. "It was a sham," said my friend.

I suppose if I had to make a choice, I would prefer substance over symbol. But, once again I find myself looking for balance in an imbalanced world. In an ideal situation we would find correct symbols with correct substance. Weddings that correctly present Christ and His Church, and marriages that have a depth of love that the world cannot imitate nor understand.
Christ is the reality of the symbols we handle. They are but a shadow of the Way, the Truth and the Life. He is the substance of our faith and symbols. In our striving for correct symbols let us strive all the more to know Christ Himself. Knowing, loving and worshiping Him are the purposes of the symbols.

The Marriage of Giovanni Arnolfini
by
Jan van Eyck (Art.com)

No comments: