30 June 2006

Noah's Ark discovered....Again.

When I checked the news this morning I saw the headline, "Noah's Ark Discovered." Seems that I remember a book about this that came out in the 70's, or was it the 80's, or both?

Basically a group of guys have found a pile of wood in Iran that is about the size of a small aircraft carrier. It actually does seem logical to me that a pile of wood the size of an aircraft carrier at 13,000 feet in that part of the world would be Noah's ark. I don't doubt it. The problem is that this group of men actually believe that they are going to "prove" the existence of God.

When I look at an ant, I know God exists because I have faith. Some will not believe even with the evidence of miracles or the testimony of prophets. "Neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead," Jesus said.

I love apologetics and I think it is great that this group has found the Ark (or at least a very interesting pile of wood on an arid mountain). But no one will come to the Father through evidence; they will only come if the Holy Spirit draws them through Christ (the One who rose from the dead) by faith.

There was an opportunity on AOL to post your comments on the story, and I made the mistake of taking a look at those comments. One zealous Christian lady was so excited because this "evidence" would once and for all persuade all the people who do not believe in God. She wrote passionately about the God that healed her babies, and that we would all see such miracles if we could only believe and obey like she had (then of course she added, "...by the grace of God.") Very predictably the first reply to her post was, "If your god is so good why did my....?"

I think the reason why this story affected me so deeply is that I have a child and wife that have not been totally healed. Our miracles seem limited. There remains a thorn. Yet, I cannot deny the faith that God has given me. Furthermore it is through suffering that God has proven His goodness to us. It really does not matter what scientists find or don't find. I have been adopted by my Creator and nothing can separate me from His love.

Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.

---
For a look at the most recent photos and story see the
Christian Worldview website which places the Ark in Iran.
Then you might be interested in "Noah's Ark Found: The Search is Over" Rene Nourbegen 1988
or "In Search of Noah's Ark, the greatest discovery of our time" Documentary 1976
or John Morris' and Tim LaHaye's book "The Ark On Ararat" 1976 Thomas Nelson (which was about the Ark being "found in Turkey"
or LaHaye's sequel that is sure to come "The Ark that was Left Behind"
and the powerful forthcoming book "Your Best Ark Now!"

1 comment:

Bill said...

Hey Patrick!

Wow…just happened to stumble across you via Kirby’s blog, via Brian’s blog. Don’t know if you remember me or not. My wife Lynn (Ozburn) and I were good friends with Ross and Kathy when we lived in Jackson. We started hanging out with all of you there for a while before we moved away to Georgia. I worked at the Jackson Sun. I have a distinct memory of me, you, Ross, Kirby, and Julian (I think) sitting around a Catholic chapel singing, eating bread, and drinking wine. Was a great time!!

Since leaving Jackson we lived in Columbus, GA where I worked for the newspaper, did the Bible college thing, and begin the ordination process with my denomination. We then moved to Illinois and spent three years planting a church. God called us to turn leadership of the church over to some friends who moved up there with us and move back to Georgia (Augusta this time) where we are in the beginning stages of starting a church here.

I’m glad to have found your blog. I’ll definitely drop in from time to time. My blog is found at www.windowatspringhill.blogspot.com

Blessings old friend!!
Bill